The garden today has emerged from the work of Thomas Harlaw, gardener to the 6th Earl of Mar, in the early 18th century. It has terraces, a Dutch parterre and what is believed to be the country’s oldest bowling green.
Archaeological work has taken place and expert studies are underway so we can identify much more about Harlaw’s design with the aim of returning the garden to how it might have looked around 1712.
Much about the history and development of the garden can be found in Cowane’s Hospital Garden in Stirling by M Eastop, C Green, A Hancock and M Lumsden of the NADFAS Garden History Group, Stirling in 2001.
The gardens have been listed by Historic Environment Scotland in its Inventory of Gardens and Designed Landscapes in Scotland. To view the listings see: