Cowane’s Hospital can be found at the marker Cowane’s Trust as shown on the map. We share an entrance driveway with the Church of the Holy Rude.
By road via the M9
- Leave the M9 at junction 10 and take the A84 exit to A85 Sirling/Callander/Crianlarich.
- At the roundabout take the third exit onto the A84 and continue along the A84 going through one roundabout.
- At the next roundabout take the second exit onto the Raploch Road.
- Take the first exit at the next roundabout onto the Dumbarton Road/A811 and continue on the A811 going through one more roundabout.
- Take a slight left onto Corn Exchange Road and then left again onto Spittal Street. This is a one way street.
- Continue to the top of Spittal Street which becomes Saint John Street where you will see the Church of the Holy Rude.
- Cowane’s Hospital shares the same entrance driveway as the church and is located at the top of the driveway. Public parking is on Spittal Street.
By public transport
Stirling is well served by both rail and bus from Glasgow, Edinburgh and Perth. Goosecroft bus station is next to the railway station. Just ask at the bus station for services to Stirling Castle. Cowane’s Hospital is a few hundred yards downhill from the castle.
By foot from railway and bus stations
Cowane’s is a 10-15 minutes walk from the railway and bus stations, but there is a steep climb. On the way you can stop and read the commemorative plaques on Spittal Street and you will pass places of interest such as the Old Town Jail, which has an information centre, and the Tolbooth.
- At the roundabout opposite the Railway Station, where Goosecroft Road and Station Road meet, turn up into Station Road and then left onto Murray Place.
- Turn right onto King Street and at the corner with Corn Exchange Road turn right into Spittal Street.
- Continue along Spittal Street which becomes Saint John Street where you will see the Church of the Holy Rude.
- Cowane’s Hospital shares the same entrance driveway as the Church and is located at the top of the driveway.